The beta of Safari 3 came in for a lot of stick in the press, it doesn't work with proxies at all and when it is working there are lots of bug - some of them serious. It's a beta release so bugs are to be expected but as some people have pointed out it's a lot closer to alpha quality than beta quality at the moment.
After a few days Apple came out with an improved version, it still doesn't work though work's proxy it still crashes and burns but apparently it's got lots of bugs fixed. I've not been able to test it on Internet sites but trying out on various work intranet sites I can say it's very sluggish, much slower than Firefox, Opera and even the slug that is IE. It's also painfully slow to start.
It is a beta product so I can only assume that the final release grade version will work, be stable and secure, and an awful lot faster. I can't see anyone in their right mind switching to it, Firefox is a better option. It's good that Apple ported it though, it will help shake down bugs in the Apple original, and ultimately the KDE khtml that it's all based on*.
* Porting PuTTY from Windows to Linux seems silly as Linux already has the very good OpenSSH package but the port helped to improve the Windows original and Linux now has an alternative an perfectly usable SSH client should it be needed.
This week I've figured out a subtle bug with IO::Capture::Stderr which causes some of my tests to fail on Perl 5.6 platforms. I've contacted the author but had no response yet.
Today an ABAP report I wrote at work failed a test. There is an ever so subtle bug in the code which has actually shown up a much greater logic flaw in the report. I can easily fix the bug and make the program pass the tests but it won't be logically correct and I could easily make it fail horribly - though it will probably pass the actual tests. I have to tell the requester I can fix it but to do it properly will take a re-write of a key component, which will mean a delay of at least a few days - made worse because of a code freeze in the only systems I can run the tests in...
Yesterday Apple released Safari 3 (beta) for Windows XP and Vista. I
already use Knoquror's
khtml on which the rendering
engine of Safari is based, so I don't have to use it achieve good
browser coverage. However, I thought it would be fun so I downloaded
it and gave it a try. It looks weird and don't fit with anything else
on my XP box but worst of all it crashes every time it tries to connect
via the work proxy (which Opera and Firefox are happy with) so it's not
I don't do much web development at work anymore, but it's still useful to have to test things out on the intranet as the khtml engine is very good and it's always good to test a site with as many rendering engines as possible. I also hope Apple fix the bugs, I see that several have been reported on Slashdot already.
On Saturday we went for a walk on the Isle of Wight. Alas the coastal path was largely closed because of erosion, so we were forced in land. I hay-fever was quite severe, so bad that when we got home I went straight to bed, and even the following day I was so ill that I couldn't eat anything all day, and today I still feel very poorly.
The only good thing to happen was I got to see the Red Arrows on display over Cowes.
When I got my new PCs last year they came with Iiyama ProLite monitors. One of them failed with tip. This year the second also failed. Both have now been swapped and seem okay. I'll never buy Iiyama again, for a premium price, I expect a premium monitor and they are no better than the bargain basement units we have at work.