Bog Roll ::

It's Not Magic, It's Work!

12 Jun 2007

Bugs...

This week I've figured out a subtle bug with IO::Capture::Stderr which causes some of my tests to fail on Perl 5.6 platforms. I've contacted the author but had no response yet.

Today an ABAP report I wrote at work failed a test. There is an ever so subtle bug in the code which has actually shown up a much greater logic flaw in the report[1]. I can easily fix the bug and make the program pass the tests but it won't be logically correct and I could easily make it fail horribly - though it will probably pass the actual tests. I have to tell the requester I can fix it but to do it properly will take a re-write of a key component, which will mean a delay of at least a few days - made worse because of a code freeze in the only systems I can run the tests in...

  1. Incorrect assumptions strike again...

Apple Safari For Windows

Yesterday Apple released Safari 3 (beta) for Windows XP and Vista. I already use Knoquror's khtml on which the rendering engine of Safari is based, so I don't have to use it achieve good browser coverage. However, I thought it would be fun so I downloaded it and gave it a try. It looks weird and don't fit with anything else on my XP box but worst of all it crashes every time it tries to connect via the work proxy (which Opera and Firefox are happy with) so it's not much use.

I don't do much web development at work anymore, but it's still useful to have to test things out on the intranet as the khtml engine is very good and it's always good to test a site with as many rendering engines as possible. I also hope Apple fix the bugs, I see that several have been reported on Slashdot already.